Thursday, April 3, 2014

How to Thrift Like a Pro: My Tips and Tricks

Hey Guys!
My mom and I go thrift shopping a lot and over time, I think that I've developed a sort of routine. When shopping at thrift stores, there are certain things that you should definitely check out, and other things that I would advise to stray away from. So without further adieu, here is my advice!
  1. Be open minded. Part of the joy of shopping at thrift stores is that you never know what you are going to find. It's like a treasure hunt! Be optimistic about finding something because if don't think that you will find anything, chances are you won't.
  2. Be picky. If you go to the thrift store a lot like me and my mom do, you need to learn how to differentiate between quality items that you will use, and junk.
  3. Look for colors or patterns that catch your eye. If it fits, then get it! Still look through everything but check into what catches your eye first and finding cute stuff will be tons easier.
  4. Go through all sizes. Not all thrift stores are sized but if they are, chances are that they are mixed up and jumbled everywhere due to the nature of low maintenance stores.
  5. Stay away from shoes. Unless they look brand new, don't even try them on. Someone else had their feet in them and I find it really gross.
  6. Thrift stores are great to find cheap home decor as well as clothing. Home decor is so expensive and I've found that thrift stores have really cute and cheap decor. I recommend checking out things such as mugs, baskets, and fake flowers. 
  7. Don't buy junk. This goes hand in hand with number two. If you buy junk, you will just end up being a hoarder. 
  8. Negotiate the price if it is unreasonable. Often times, thrift stores are pretty lenient on their prices and you can talk them down to what you are willing to pay.
  9. Find a good thrift store in your area. I really like Deseret Industries and Goodwill but we also go to a bunch of great local stores. If you go to a really wealthy town, hit the thrift stores because chances are, there will be higher quality stuff than you usually might find somewhere else. 
  10. Have a good attitude. You can do it! It might take practice in order to tell if something will look cute on but with practice, you can be a very successful thrift shopper.
I hope that these tips helped! +1 this post if you would like to see a haul of some of the stuff that I've gotten from thrift stores. TTYL!

<3/ Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!!!! :) I try and respond to them all!