Thursday, April 18, 2013

How to Get the Most out of Your Sick Day!

Hi guys!
So, I came home from school sick today; runny nose, cough, sore throat, the works. I went to school up until lunch because I had to stay for the Advanced Math program at my school. We can only miss 3 days a term so it was important that I went. When I got home, I thought that it might be kind of fun to give some friendly advice on how you can still have an amazing day even when your sick.

So when my mom brought me home, the first thing that I reached for was my homemade hot cocoa mix. I think that it is really nice to have something hot to drink when you're sick such as tea, hot cocoa or coffee. Here's my recipe for the perfect mug of cocoa:
-------------------------------------------
2 cups milk *You can use any kind you prefer. Since I am lactose intolerant, I like to use 1 cup of rice milk and 1 cup of coconut milk.*
2 Tablespoons cocoa
2 Tablespoons sugar (If you are on a diet, replace sugar with another sweetener)
1 teaspoon vanilla
*If you use low fat or dairy free milk, I recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch or other thickening agent to make the hot cocoa creamier*

Put all ingredients in a mason jar and put in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds
Once heated to preferred temperature, put the lid on the mason jar and shake!
Enjoy!!
-------------------------------------------
I put my cocoa in a thermos, grabbed an entire bag of honeydew cough drops, and headed downstairs. Home from school, no siblings around to bug me, the chick flicks are calling me!! I watched the newest version of Pride and Prejudice and it was fabulous! It is seriously one of my all time favorite movies and a classic chick flick. If chick flicks aren't your thing Disney movies are perfect for a sick day. They're easy to watch and so fun!

Now if Movies aren't your thing, you can always whip out the books when you're sick.  Next to my bed, I have a whole stack of action packed novels and here are some of my favorites:
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls by Elise Primavera
  • The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull
  • Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • The Princess Plot by Kirsten Boie
  • Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid #6 Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney 
These are all awesome picks for a reader looking for a good book to read on a sick day.

Okay, prepare yourself. I am about to say something quite bazaar. When I am sick, I love to color! Well, maybe not color exactly but overall, create something. One of my favorite classes in school is art class and so while I was watching my movie, I also worked on a project that we had to do. Coloring is actually quite soothing and it can calm nerves and lessen a headache which is great especially when you're sick.

So that's about it for my advice on getting the most out of your sick day. I really hope you enjoyed this post and be sure to +1 me on Google+ @Audrey Ryan.
TTYL!!
Audrey <3



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!!!! :) I try and respond to them all!